3.28.2012

The South Knows Something We Don't

And let me tell you... we are missing out.

I love me some good Mexican food.  I could never have too much Mexican food.  I could eat Mexican food every day, and not get sick of it.

But the South seems to know something about Mexican food that Utahn's do not.  Either that, or the South really doesn't know how to make Mexican food, but has created a crazy good Mexican knock-off.

When Chris and I were doing business in Mississippi, there was a Mexican restaurant near the hotel we would stay at.  They served your basic chicken enchilada, but wait for it... with a spicy creamy sauce!  Not a hot red sauce, or green chile sauce.  It was creamy!  It was spicy! And it was amazing!  We would go there every time we were in Jackson.  Oh, how I've missed them.

And they're no where to be found in Utah.

Then I went to Kentucky.  And a fellow A.E. (my job title) suggested that we get Mexican food, instead of the Chinese food that another A.E. was proposing.  I did not object.

After waiting almost an hour for our food (we were on the verge of leaving), it happened...  A plate was placed before me with two chicken enchiladas, rice and beans, topped with a SPICY CREAMY SAUCE!  I was overjoyed.  Elated.  In pure, blissful, creamy enchilada sauce heaven.  I inhaled them.  The ridiculous wait for our food suddenly no longer mattered.

And now here I am, back in Utah, and I'm swishing I would have asked for the recipe.  Or (because most restaurants don't give their recipes) savored the goodness a little slower, having tried to identify each ingredient so it could be replicated at home.  

So, if anyone knows of a recipe, or has tried an enchilada with spicy creamy sauce, please let me know.  I'm desperately craving one right this minute, after having choked down a turkey sandwich and carrot sticks.

No comments: