1.27.2015

Homemade Almond Milk

I recently learned during my juice cleanse that I LOVE almond milk (you can read about my juice cleanse under my Project Skinny page, post 1.27.2015). But not the almond milk that is purchased at the grocery store. That stuff is horrible! But the fresh, homemade stuff? Amazing! Since my favorite drink of the cleanse was Just Organic Juice's AlmonDelight, I set off using Google to figure out how to make my own. And let me tell you... I'm glad I did.

First, you'll need a nut milk bag. I purchased this Nut Milk Bag on Amazon because it was bigger than what I could find locally, it was commercial grade and it was reusable. And {bonus} it arrived at my house in only 2 days.

Homemade Almond Milk
Recipe Adapted From: Everyday Paleo (Link HERE)
MAKES 3 CUPS
  • 1 cup raw almonds, soaked overnight in water
  • 3 pitted Dates, for sweetness
  • 1/2 tsp Vanilla
  • 3 cups Water
Drain and rinse your almonds that have soaked overnight in water. Add to blender with dates, vanilla & water. Blend on high for at least a minute.  

NOTE: I do not think you need a high-powered blender (like a Blendtec) to make Almond Milk, since the Nut Milk Bag will catch and separate any chucks & leftover bits.


Pour the mixture into your Nut Milk Bag, that has been placed inside a large bowl.



Using your muscles, you're going to squeeze all the "milk" out of the leftover bits caught by the Nut Milk Bag. This takes a little bit of time and effort.


the "leftover bits"

You'll end up with creamy, rich, sweet almond milk.


I've been drinking 16 oz every morning for breakfast for the last 2 weeks. I don't miss dairy at all, and I'm completely full until lunch time. I add a few dashes of cinnamon to my morning drink because I love it, and because cinnamon is just another natural ingredient that is very good for you.

The Almond Milk will separate -- it hasn't gone bad -- so give a good shake before drinking. However, it will go bad after 4-6 days, so only make enough for what you need. I actually make 4x the recipe on Saturday mornings, which makes a full gallon, and will give me fresh almond milk through Thursday/Friday (unless Chris drinks some too).


Almond Milk is a bit pricey to make on your own. The Nut Milk Bag is cheap, and the dates are fairly inexpensive... it's the almonds that make a full gallon cost approximately $9.00. I purchased two large 3 lb bags of almonds from Costco for $15.99 bag. Each bag hold 8 cups, so one gallon of Almond Milk will use $8.00 worth of almonds. This begs the question...

Is it worth the cost?

Yes, it is. Here's why... Raw Almonds have so many health benefits and are linked to a reduction in cholesterol and risk of coronary heart disease. Almond rich diets help sustain healthy weight and have greater weight reduction in people trying to lose weight. Almonds lessen surges in blood sugar, which reduce your risk of diabetes. They contain healthy fats, B2 vitamins and trace minerals manganese and copper. Dates also promote a healthy heart and aid in digestion (helps with constipation). When you add Cinnamon you are again supporting a heart health, blood sugar regulation, diabetes protection and improving your brain function.

What's not to like about all that, right?

No comments: