2.22.2011

I'm No Pioneer

We were out on the farm this weekend.  And Sunday, while Chris's family was  at church and the turkey was roasting away in the oven, I got the idea to make rolls.  You just can't have turkey and gravy without rolls.

Thing is, I've never made rolls.  I've successfully made bread, and figured rolls couldn't be to hard.  While making the dough, I ran into several problems...

Problem #1.  When doubling the recipe, a small bowl just won't do.
Problem #2.  Find the yeast before you begin.
Problem #3.  Don't try to knead the dough by hand.

You may think that because of the above mentioned problems that my first go at making rolls was a failure of epic proportions.  Surprisingly, it wasn't.

After dividing the dough (which still didn't have all the flour in it) between two bowls, I found the yeast.  I mixed and mixed and mixed the dough by hand until the cramps in my arms would no longer let me, I grabbed the mixer and finished the process.  

My sister-in-law, probably laughing internally at my struggles, asked... "Makes you appreciate the pioneers, doesn't it?"

Yes.  But let's be honest... it made me appreciate my Bosch Mixer and KitchenAid more.

The rolls did rise, they baked and they were delicious with strawberry jam.  And the turkey and gravy.

No comments: