5.29.2012

Don't Be Such a Pest

I'm not sure if this a "Merkley" thing, or just a "Chris" thing, but my husband is the master of being a pest. No one I know could possibly top Chris's talent of pestiness. I feel sorry for my daughter, and you should feel sorry for me.

In the past, Brielle and I just couldn't compete. We'd try to get him back, but then his level of pestiness grew. Soon, we realized that "getting him back" just wasn't worth the price. But Sunday, he continued his pesty behavior until Brielle and I just couldn't take it anymore. It was time for a counter attack.

It was late and dark outside when Chris stepped into the garage to suit up in his chore attire (muck books, & jacket). I'm not sure why, but I grabbed a giant carrot from the fridge and stepped out the kitchen door, into the back yard. I knew Izzy was going to give me away, so I broke the carrot in half, gave her the smaller of the two pieces and told her to get away.

Just then, Chris stepped out of the garage, into the back yard, standing 6 or 7 yards away from me.  The light from inside the garage barely illuminating his figure. I don't know what I was thinking but I chucked that carrot hard in his direction.  And it hit him.  Square in the forehead.

You could see the utter shock of what just happened across his face, which quickly turned into anger. I ran into the house, where Brielle and I both agreed that we were in serious trouble. Why a carrot? I don't know. What possessed me to do such a thing? I'm not sure, it all happened so quickly.

In a panic, I wrote a note that said "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hit you in the head. Please don't hate me." and taped it to the garage door for him to see before he came inside. 


Lucky for me, it didn't leave a mark, but that didn't mean that he wasn't hurt either. It took him roughly 16 hours to forgive me, which isn't too bad, considering that all night, and into the next day, I couldn't stop laughing about what had happened. Every time the thought of "the carrot incident" crosses my mind, I laugh until I cry. Even now, I'm laughing.

Hopefully, he's learned his lesson in all this. #1 -- Don't be such a pest & #2 -- Vegetables make good weapons.

I got another good laugh the next day (while still mad at me) when he fell down in a pile of muddy, wet, horse shat (it's been raining a lot). But that is a story for another day. His pride can only take so much.

3 comments:

Cassie said...

It's a Merkley thing. I will have to remember the carrot trick.

Carrie said...

LOVE it.

gwendywendy said...

Hilarious! I can only imagine the look on his face after 1) being randomly pelted in the face and 2) realizing it was a carrot! So funny!!!
Love, Gwen