6.03.2012

S'Mores Cupcakes

I've made S'Mores Cupcakes before... but never like this. And this particular occasion (for a very special girl, on a very special day) deserved a kicked up version of the original.

And let me tell you... I'm considering a "crust" on all future cupcakes. The crunch made these cupcakes, and gave what can sometimes be a texture-less dessert into something fantastic.

Tip...Take the time to make the homemade marshmallow, ya'll. It's not that hard, but completely worth it.  You just won't get the same effect torching a store-bought jumbo marshmallow.


I sure love it when I have a reason to get out the kitchen torch. It feels so... dangerous!


The Crust
  • 2 Cups Graham Crackers (crumbled in a food processor)
  • 1/3 Cup Sugar
  • 6 Tbsp Butter, Melted
Combine ingredients & divide evenly between 24 cupcake liners.  Press firmly.  I used the bottom of my 1/4 measuring cup, and it was perfect.  Bake at 350 for 4-5 minutes.

The Cake
  • 1 Box Western Family Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
  • 1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
I'm specific about the box mix brand. I have yet to find a "from scratch" chocolate recipe that doesn't end up all over the bottom of my oven, and this mix has never failed me. And, the addition of the Cocoa Powder makes it extra chocolate-y and eliminates the box mix taste. Add the cocoa powder to the mix and then add all other ingredients according to the box.

Add cake batter to muffin liners, being careful not to over-fill (there will be batter left over, because we've added the crust). I'm not trying to micro-manage your kitchen, but if it wasn't obvious, I just saved you a mess to clean up.  You're welcome.

Bake at 350 degrees for no more than 16 minutes, or until then spring back when touched.

The Marshmallow 
  • 8 Egg Whites
  • 2 Cups Sugar
  • 1/2 Tsp Cream of Tarter
  • 2 1/2 Tsp Vanilla
Over a double broiler, whisk the egg whites, sugar and cream of tarter until the sugar dissolves (about 5-6 minutes). Don't stop whisking, even if your arm hurts. Mine was cramping after 3 minutes. When dissolved, pour into a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and beat until shiny, light, fluffy and cooled (about 7 minutes).  Add vanilla and beat until combined.

Fill a pastry bag and pipe onto cooled cupcakes. I used a large star tip. Then, the fun part... I torched 'em.  A few liners started on fire, but my kitchen did not. And hey, it gave them the authentic campfire torched looked.  If you don't have a kitchen torch, I suppose you could use the broiler feature in your oven, but since I have not had one success with this method (even trying to cook garlic toast), I do not recommend it.  But you're sure welcome to try.

No comments: