1.22.2013

My Favorite Green Smoothie

I was terrified to try green smoothies. Were they really as good as people said? I mean, come on, it's so much spinach! Is "good" even possible when the main ingredient is spinach?

Why yes, yes it is.

Especially my new green smoothie concoction.  
  • 2 large handfuls of Spinach
  • 1/2 cup Plain Vanilla Yogurt
  • 1/2 Frozen Banana
  • 1/2 cup Frozen Pineapple Chunks
  • 1/2 cup Orange Juice
  • Few Ice Cubes
Because I don't have one of those super high tech fancy blenders (I keep entering giveaways, but never win), I use my Bosch Kitchen Blender. It does the job okay, but I do have a Pinterest tip that will make your smoothie extra smooth without chunks of spinach that stick to your teeth...

Put the spinach, yogurt and juice in first and puree. Next add your frozen fruit and a few ice cubes, then mix again until completely combined. You won't find a speck of spinach in your teeth, I promise.

I've estimated that this smoothie to be roughly 285 calories, and it keeps me full until lunch. You could save a few calories by adding water instead of Orange Juice, which is really good, too. Coconut Oil is another ingredient I add from time to time, for added nutritional value.

With Project Skinny Round 3 full under way, I'm looking for ways to add more fruits and vegetables into my diet. Smoothies sure make that easy. I've found a couple other green smoothie recipes that include peanut butter that I think I'll give a try later this week. I've also seen smoothie recipes with kale in it, but that has me a bit nervous. I'll stick to spinach for a while before I venture outside my comfort zone.

No comments: