11.03.2013

Halloween - Movie Snack Ensemble

I have a new-found respect for my mother, who made most of our Halloween costumes growing up. Up until this point, I've purchase pre-made costumes for Brielle. But this year, Brielle wanted something different... something unique and creative, and something she could do with her friends. This resulted in 3 different costumes, for 3 cute girls, with the task being placed upon me.

We searched online and in the end, got super excited about a "Movie Snack's" ensemble -- Popcorn, Candy & a Drink.


Each costume presented its own set of challenges (Brielle's being the most difficult) but they turned out fantastic! Don't you think?

POPCORN: This costume required the right size box. If you use a box that is really tall, you end up trying to cut a hole for the head where the top folds over, and that doesn't work well. We found a box that was wide and long, but only about 10 inches tall. Like this...

 

By doing this, you can close the "top" using packing tape, stand it tall, then cut out the bottom panel, a hole on top for the head opening, and holes on the sides for arm openings.


We then covered the box in white crafting paper (that comes in rolls in the painting/art section of the craft store). The red stripes were made using red duct tape. The popcorn was made using yellow and white tissue paper, glued to the top of the box (around the head opening) using a glue gun. And finally, we embellished the front of the box with the "Popcorn" sign, which were just wooden letters painted blue.

TWIZZLERS: I got lucky with the Twizzlers costume and found giant plush pillows on Amazon.com. These pillows came in lots of different popular candies, including Reese's, Whoppers, M&M's, etc. I removed the stuffing, then cut & stitched openings for arms, head and feet. Because the pillows were about 28 inches tall by 18 inches wide, this costume worked best for a smaller child.

SODA CUP: This was my most challenging costume, so listen up... You'll appreciate my words of wisdom to avoid having to purchase 2 vinyl labels and 8 cans of spray paint (as opposed to 1 label and 4 cans).

Let's start with the easy. I purchased a garbage can with lid at Walmart, and had my husband cut off the entire bottom, as well as cut a hole in the lid for her head. The straw was made using the cardboard roll from the inside of a roll of wrapping paper. I then covered the roll in the same white paper used on the popcorn box, and using the left over red duct tape, made a spiral red stripe.

PRIME YOUR GARBAGE CAN. Do not skip this step. I know that on the red spray can, it says that the paint will adhere to plastic, but I assure you, it will not. Prime the lid - prime the can. You can purchase primer in a spray can to make it easier. Since the primer is white, your lid is done after priming. Once the primer dries on the can, spray it red. 

Because I skipped the priming step, my first vinyl coke label peeled of all the paint, requiring me to prime and paint again, and buy another vinyl coke label. And still, because I didn't first prime, the 2nd label also tried to peel off. Therefore, if you look closely in the picture, you'll notice that I didn't peel off the plastic cover on the 2nd label. PRIME people.

I found the vinyl coke label from several different vendors. There are plenty of people who make them on ebay and it literally cost less than $8.00. Because my first one peeled off with the paint, I took to facebook and found someone who does that sort of thing locally (also only $8.00).

Hot glue the lid to the can, tape the straw to the lid - and you have a coke cup. You'll also notice I didn't cut arm holes. Because the garbage can is big, I thought it would be uncomfortable. Instead, we left on the handles and attached her candy bag to the back side handle. All she had to do was say "Trick or Treat" and turn around.

There you have it. Their costumes were a hit with every house they visited, and they didn't run into any other children with the same costume. Will I ever spend the time or money to make costumes again? Right now the answer is absolutely not. Maybe as next Halloween gets closer, I'll forget about this years experience and say yes. Who knows. But seriously, look at their faces. Cutest faces -- and costumes -- ever.

1 comment:

Brady and Yamel Knowles said...

I seriously cannot believe you made those, and all three to boot! Way to go, they look awesome!!