4.18.2014

Baffled by the "Ordain Women" Movement

The women from the Ordain Women group released a statement following April General Conference {which I loved BTW -- the conference, not the statement} which basically read that these individuals are "faithful Mormon women" trying to get gender equality in the Mormon church.  

I'm completely baffled by this "movement."

"The truths of this gospel are everlasting and eternal. Philosophies change. Customs change. Culture changes. But with all of these changes, there are gospel fundamentals that have never changed and never will change."

Isn't the very word "faithful" defined as devotion? true to one's religion? and adhering to a standard? a firmness and steadfast belief in ones faith? Which to me would then imply an unwavering allegiance to those beliefs?Logic {not faith} tells me that if one does not have faith in the divine design of the church, how can one have faith in its leaders? Or teachings? Therefore, how could one be considered a faithful follower?

My faith in God's word and in the words spoken by our prophets tell me that my role as a woman in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is EQUALLY as important as the role of the men, even though it may be different.

"Women in the Church are associates with their brethren in carrying forward this mighty work of the Lord. It is no small thing that there are enrolled in these organizations, presided over by women, some two and a half million members.

Columnists and reporters for the media have occasionally tried to paint a picture in which women of the Church are demeaned and placed in a status of inferiority. Nothing could be further from the truth. The very presence of these three capable women in those meetings with General Authorities and candidates for the presidency of the United States was an indication that under the plan of the Lord women carry tremendous responsibilities and they are accountable for the fulfillment of those responsibilities. The head their own organizations, and those organizations are strong and viable and are significant forces for good in the world."

I am a Mormon woman, who in no way feels inferior to my husband who holds the Priesthood, or the Priesthood holders that I serve with in the church. I know in my heart and in my mind that I have a divine role to fill, and it doesn't include Priesthood powers. And I am 100% okay with that.

1 comment:

B. Merkley said...

I 100% agree.