4.07.2014

Blueberry Banana Smoothie

Mornings seem to be busier than ever lately, and smoothies are becoming harder to make. Not harder in the sense that they're difficult, but harder because I'm running out of time. It's easier to pour a bowl of Cheerio's and throw a diced banana on top than prep the fruit, blend, pour and clean the blender.

Actually, now that I think about it, it probably takes the same amount of time to make a smoothie as it does to sit and eat a bowl of cereal. Awesome. Looks like I'm just making excuses. And my husband always says that "excuses are like butt......." Wait. I'd better not say. It's not classy by any sense and I'm sure you get the idea!

I love buying the giant bags of frozen blueberries at Costco. It's way cheaper than buying small bags at the grocery store and they pack so much flavor and nutrition. Blueberries have more antioxidants than any other fresh fruit or veggie and they're known to strengthen your immune system and we certainly need that right now! My husband and daughter returned home from a Spring Break trip where they spent a lot of time with a bunch of runny-nosed cousins. A few days later and they are both battling serious head colds.

Photo Credit Given to VitaMix

Another study showed that the polyphenols found in blueberries can break down belly fat. Whoo-Hoo! Looks like we'll be eating blueberries every day now! Blueberries also help with constipation, help with bone development, is a cancer fighter, helps lower blood sugar and it's suggested that blueberries reverse age-related memory loss. Plenty of good reasons to add blueberries to your morning smoothies.

Blueberry Banana Smoothie
MAKES 4 CUPS - 2 SERVINGS (199 Calories Per Serving)
  • 8 oz Milk (I used 2% Lowfat)
  • 2 cups Baby Spinach
  • 2 cups Frozen Blueberries
  • 1 large Banana
  • 4-6 Ice Cubes
Place all ingredients in your blender, secure lid and blend until smooth. I use the "Smoothie" feature on my Blendtec, which blends for roughly 40 seconds. Enjoy!  

No comments: