2.05.2011

Decisions

I'm not a good decision maker.  I stew over problems for days, weighing pros, considering cons, wondering if I'm about to do the right thing.  Some decisions are not this complex.  Take milk for example... I don't care what brand, just give me what's cheap.  Shoes... I want comfort and cuteness.

Unfortunately, the decision I currently face is not so simple.  It has great potential, but also has the possibility of changing certain aspects of my life that I prefer not change.  What to do, what to do?


I've learned over the past several years (being in real estate) that basing decisions on a 10-year plan can be unrealistic.  Will you have the same job?  Same income?  What if the needs of your family changes?  Say you get a horse or two?  All three of these items affected my family within the last 5 years, and what I thought I needed back then is far from what I need now.  Or want, for that matter.

And what happens when the right decision is not blatantly clear?  What if there are 3 possibilities, all with outstanding pros and equally challenging cons?  Each decision has the potential to be good.

One self-proclaimed expert I found while googling said "avoid the analysis period."  He states that spending too much time analyzing just wastes time.  "You can always change if you found you made the wrong choice" is his advice.

To me, this is a big, fat load of bull crap.  He makes it sound as if all decisions are so simple, and if wrong, just change paths (again).  I think for the most part, with more life changing decisions, this is not as easy as it sounds.

So...  I'm off to stew for a few more days.

No comments: