5.22.2011

Pecking Order

I braced myself yesterday.

It was time for the equines to no longer be separated by fences.  It was time for the long-dreaded pecking order to be established.

Horses kick, bite, chase and do all kinds of nasty things to each other when determining the dominant leader.  This horrible behavior can last for days, sometimes weeks.  It's madness.  I've seen what can happen when an alpha horse turns himself loose on a cowardly horse like Cocoa.

But, it had to be done.  It was time that Cocoa and Dandy to have an all out brawl. and figure out the "order" of things.  Chris turned to me and said "you ready for some fireworks?"  Then something strange happened...


...they wondered off and started grazing.  Didn't touch each other.  No kicks.  No bites.

They play and they run around together. When one moves, the other does, too.  We knew Cocoa was cowardly, but apparently, so is Dandy.  

I don't know if I'm disappointed, or relieved.

No comments: