1.07.2012

A Cowgirls Chores

Consistency is my middle name.  Or, rather it should be.  I love all the things in my life that make up my routine.  One of my most favorite daily tasks (aside from those few precious moments I have with Brielle when taking her to school) is chores.  Yes -- the chores.  This city girl turned wanna-be-cowgirl also loves the 15 mins each morning at 8:00 that I get to spend with the animals.

Here's a glimpse into this cowgirls' chores...

My boys.  Always waiting for me when I come out the back door.


But before I can head out to say "good morning" I have to fill the water bucket. The water hoses freeze in the Cache Valley cold, so depending on how thirsty the horses are, I'll make 1-3 trips back and forth until their bucket is full.


Apparently, they weren't that thirsty last night.


Oh, I can't forget about my morning sidekick.  Izzle-fo-shizzle follows me every step of the way.


You can't quite see it, but while filling the horses water bucket, Cocoa's wet nose found his way to my pocket.  Which of course, had carrots in it.  He will normally just help himself and take one.


For some strange reason, the horses are always curious about the orange bucket. Maybe their hoping for some apples or sweet oats.  But they never find it there. It's just a water bucket.


As I head to the barn, they follow.  Dandy first because he has assumed the spot of the dominant.  The chief.  The head haunch-o in our pasture.  Mr. "I'm in Charge and always first."


And Cocoa-Ca-Cho follows.  Because that's what he is.  The follower.  He's such a sweetheart.


Time to toss some hay.  It's what they've been waiting for.  It's why they stand at the gate and stare their creepy stare at the house, waiting for me or Chris to appear.  Food.  These two loves get a mix of grass hay and alfalfa.  Alfalfa is good for them in the winter time.  It keeps their bodies nice and warm.


It also makes them a little fat.


Once the equines have their food, it's time to focus on Izzy a bit.  We always make a stop to say "hi" to the boy next door (whom Izzle clearly loves and likes to give kisses).  At this point, we would normally give Izzy some exercise by launching her ball across the pasture a few times.  But, due to recent snow, we don't know where any of her tennis balls are.  Maybe tomorrow, Izz.


Once the pup is fed and watered, it's time for me to warm my fingers and toes and get myself ready for work.  Who knew that this kind of consistency is just what I need to get a great start to my day.  Love it.