1.14.2012

Lastest Book Read: The Hunger Games

It always makes me happy when I catch onto a series late in the game.  I loathe reading a book in which the "end" isn't really... the end.  Only to then wait a year for the next in the series to come out.  Just to find that there are more in the series.  I'm impatient.  It's not a trait I'm proud of.

BUT, when I get turned onto a series which has ended, you'll find me carting around my iPad every where I go, on the off chance that wherever I might be, I'll have time to read.  Most recently, it was The Hunger Games series.  


A lot of people told me not to read this series.  I was told that the violence was just too much.  I however, don't mind a bit of violence, but if you do, these books are definitely not for you.

I should also point out that this series reminded me a lot about the Transformers movie.  Sounds strange, I know.  But, when you saw the Transformers movie, did you ever think to yourself "if you've seen one, you've seen them all"?  Well, I felt the same about the The Hunger Games.

It's not that I didn't enjoy the books... I really enjoyed the books.  So much so that it was all I could concentrate on until I finished.  And I finished all 3 books in 4 days.  I had to know whether Katniss would live?  Who would she choose?  Would they ever be free? How does this end?

But then I got to the end, and thought "that's it?"

I had hoped that after 3 whole books, the main characters "character" would have evolved  a bit.  She certainly didn't develop into the leader that everyone wanted her to be.  As independent and self-reliant as she was, she sure let people tell her what to do and how to do it through the entire series.

I recommend these books.  They are a good read and have what I felt was a rather unique story line.  However, consider yourself warned... You won't be happy with the lack of details given to wrap up the series.


No comments: