1.11.2012

Take the Time to Listen

Yesterday, I drove Brielle to school.  I do this everyday, but something was different this time.  She talked and talked and talked about the most random things.  So random, that I can't remember at all the conversation that we had.  I just listened.

I immediately called Chris and asked him if she does this when he takes her to school.  He didn't know what I was talking about.  "Sure, she talks," he told me.  But I wanted to know if she really talks, like a grown up conversation with hand gestures, and the rolling of the eyes and the giggles at funny things.

Am I really that busy that I just wasn't listening?  Like, really listening to the things she was telling me?  I guess not.

So when picking her up from school, I ended the phone conversation that I was having as soon as she got in the car.  Instead of heading home, we went for a drive.  She talked the whole time.  Hand gestures, eye rolling, giggling and all.  She talked about school, about friends, about the things she wants to do, etc.  Her voice made me smile, her sweet giggles made me laugh and just listening to the things she had to say made me so happy.

I realized two things yesterday...

1) Brielle's conversations are becoming much more grown up.
2) I need to take more time to listen.