1.08.2012

Year in Review

Top 10 Most Memorable Moments from
2011
 
It's amazing what you remember when you reflect and look back over the last year.  You find memories you've forgotten, circumstances that have resulted in personal growth and ultimately, the realization that time continues to move too quickly.  

After finding this great idea on a friends blog, I decided to journal my favorite memories from the past year.  Since my blog is my journal, ya'll get to see it.  Lucky you.  

Let the countdown begin...



10.  DISNEYLAND
You are probably wondering why this trip made my list.  That would be because it's a memory I can't seem to forget.  It started and ended with Brielle sick.  In bed.


Although this family vacation was anything but fun, Brielle has returned to her spunky, sassy little self.  Personally, I would take her health over rides at Disneyland any day of the week.



9. SEATTLE WITH MY SISTERS
I have no pictures to document this trip.  It came together very last minute, after the passing of my Uncle.  The 3 of decided that under the circumstances, it was necessary to support my dad and his family during this difficult time.

This trip involved multiple layovers, watching "Bridesmaids" in the Phoenix Airport (which I'm sure our neighbors didn't appreciate, since Leslie mistakenly bought the "un-rated" version), loads of nasty Airport food, two three-hour rides in a rental car to and from Wenatchee, multiple arguments, accusations of me putting their lives at risk or getting lost and sharing a hotel room with only 2 beds.  All in the span of 2 days.

This trip may sound as though it was packed with loads of chaos (and it was).  But looking back on 2011, being able to spend 2 days with my sisters whom I don't see often was one of the things I'm most happy I was able to do. 



8.  FRIED TWINKIES
Who knew, right?  I was hesitant to try this carnival staple food, being that I think Twinkies are absolutely disgusting.  But I did, and I'm so very glad that I did.


If you ever get the chance, don't pass one up.  It's highly likely that it will make your Top 10 list, if you have one.



7.  NEW JOB
I hung up my hat as REALTOR and jumped back into the workforce as the Association Executive for the REALTORS local organization.  I love my job.  It has provided opportunities for our family that we wouldn't have otherwise.  I wondered what impact this would have on my family, and if there was, it certainly has been for the better.



6.  SOCCER
Our family discovered our love for the game of Soccer.  Brielle competed in 2 separate soccer leagues (Chris coached her team), attended a ReAL Soccer Camp for kids and our family made multiple trips to Salt Lake to watch RSL battle it out for the MLS Cup.  They lost, but we sure had a great time.


It turns out, Brielle is quite the little soccer player, and Chris and I have so much fun watching her play.  I can't wait to see where she takes her skills this year, and I'm hoping that Chris will again take the time to coach her team.



5.  BRIELLE HITS THE SLOPES
Chris and I both skied as kids, and early on in our marriage.  But once Brielle came, the skiing stopped.  Last year, after a little coaxing from our friends, the Pierce's, we headed up with mountain with Brielle and stuck her in ski school. 


Brielle loved it and Chris and I found out that we've still got it.  We are currently enjoying our second season of Family Ski Days.


Don't let this picture fool you though... Brielle had a big, cheesy smile on her face.



4.  WEIGHT LOSS CHALLENGE
2011 brought with it the realization that I had let my body and my health completely go.  And that needed to change.  I started "Project Skinny," documenting on this blog the challenges, upsets, struggles and accomplishments I experienced while trying to shed some pounds.

I lost a total of 23 pounds and ran my first ever race, a 10K with my highschool BFF Carrie.


This had to be one of the hardest things and most mentally challenging things I've done in my life.  So many emotions.  So much pain.  I've planned out a few more runs for this year.  Can't. Wait.



3.  BROTHERS REUNITED
I consider my animals to be part of the family.  So imagine how horrible it felt having Cocoa in Wellsville, Dandy in Tridell, and the rest of us in Providence.  In June, we were able to bring the boys home. These two brothers spent the first year of their lives together, but then separated when we brought Cocoa to Cache Valley.

 

After two years apart, we kept them separate for a few days.  The determination of the pecking order terrifies me, and I didn't want to see these two battle it out.  But I had nothing to worry about.  They acted (and still do) as if they'd never spent any time apart.  Watching them play has become one of my favorite pastimes. 



 
2.  CHICAGO
I had a lot of firsts in Chicago.  First Major League Baseball Game, first Chicago Dog, first Chicago Stuffed Pizza, first time to the Sears Tower, first time I saw Chris carrying a purse and my first time eating Shrimp.  Although this trip was partly for business, it was the first time Chris and I had taken a trip (just the two of us) in 6 years.


I saw hideous art, I ate Oprah's favorite popcorn and spent an entire week with the love of my life.  We slept in, we ate to our hearts content and... wait for it... I didn't plan a single thing.  Shocking, right?  This trip was completely spontaneous, doing whatever we wanted, when we wanted.  It. Was. Perfect.



1.  HOME
I feel like I've used this term to liberally over the years.  I've always had a home, but it wasn't until this year that I actually felt at home.  Moving into our new home was a highlight for me this year.  We are in a home that while still needing improvements, is the right fit for our family.  It's perfect in every way.  

I'm in the home  that my daughter will be raised in.  I'm in the home that brought us together with our animals.  I'm in the home where I've finally felt apart of and included in the ward family.  After 4 moves after 11 years of marriage, I am finally home.  I plan to be here for a very long time.


We still have a lot of work to do, but I'm lucky to be married to a very handy man.  He has, and is continuing to transform a very lived in, older home, into something beautiful and new.  But we're home.  So it doesn't matter to me how long it might take, because we are happy and comfortable here.  This move was not only memorable, but our greatest blessing of 2011.



EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN
Lounging on the couch.  BBQ's in the backyard.  Cold Stone Ice Cream runs.  Movie night.  Just Dance Wii competitions.  Riding lessons in our own back yard.  Snuggling with Brielle.  Helping with homework.  Weekend drives to Bear Lake for a Raspberry Shake.

No matter what our family did this last year, we were together and had a good time doing it.  I can't imagine how 2012 will top this past year, but I hope that it turns out to be just as memorable.