3.02.2012

I'm Going Custom

We're nearing the completion of my kitchen.  I'm still waiting on my cabinet doors, although, my husband has promised me a BIG reveal upon my return from a business trip this month.  That gives him exactly 19 days.  The clocks a tickin' babe!

Besides the cabinets doors, we need a light fixture over the kitchen table, back splash, granite countertops, curtains and accessories.  We are going to hold off on the countertops until I can afford to get what I want.  As for now, I'm working on everything else.

The goal for my kitchen is to be neutral and fresh with pops of color, which I will pull from my beautiful poppies painting that my husband bought for me before we were married (apparently he thought I was a sure thing).  This includes greens, turquoise blues and orange.  I love me some pops of orange!

This brings me to the curtains.  I thought for sure I would find a fabric that I would just love.  But after days and days and days and a few more days of searching, I'm deciding to go custom.  I just couldn't find a fabric with the right pattern with the right colors.  Cue my two latest website finds:

DEPOSIT PHOTOS
Deposit Photos is a royalty free site where you can find tons and tons of stock photos, drawings, pictures,  illustrations, etc.  It is here that I found the pattern that will soon be my custom curtain fabric...


You love it, don't you?  Ya, so do I.  I've already ordered a swatch for only $6.00.

This brings me to the second site...

SPOONFLOWER
SpoonFlower is a company that will take your patterns or pictures and print them on the fabric of your choice.  Now, it's a little pricey, but no more expensive that purchasing upholstery grade fabric from Calico Corners or Waverly.  AND - BONUS - it's custom.  One of kind.  

You can also allow SpoonFlower to sell your custom design on their website, and receive 10% of the proceeds.  You should see the fabric on their site that they sell... truly amazing with designs you will never find anywhere else.

You are probably super curious as to where I'm going to have my pops of color.  Let me know you.

Free Standing Cabinet.  I've had this for several years, but it was always on a wall of a different color.  Now, it just blends into the wall.  Soon, it will be one of these two colors, coordinating with the curtain print above...


My choices are "Rivulet" (turquoise) or "Lime Ricky" (green).  I seriously can't decide.  Feel free to weigh in your choice by commenting below.

What do we have left?  Oh yes, a light fixture.  This is where Chris and I have our differences.  I want something close to the ceiling, he wants something to hang low to the table.  However, I recently acquired a text from him that says "it's your kitchen, do what you want."  I will use this for vetoing power, which means I'll end up with something light this...


Chris and I do agree on a glass tile back splash, and if I decide on painting the above cabinet the turquoise "Rivulet," I'll end up with something like this...

 
Although, I'm sure that this would pair nicely with the "Lime Ricky" as well.  Decisions, decisions.  
 
Well, there you have it.  My soon-to-be-complete kitchen.  Do I sound a little obsessed?  I've got to be.  My husbands busy season starts soon and I'm determined to have my kitchen finished and ready when it's my month to host BUNCO.


April 1st marks 1 year of being in this home.  It's about time the kitchen is finished, don't you think?

1 comment:

Cassie said...

I don't know if it's your thing or not but I have seen lot of cabinets painted in multi colors lately. So the main part is one color and the doors another... Hopefully that makes sense. :)

Love the pattern and the colors though!! Good luck!