3.10.2012

Pie Cupcakes

If you are my husband, you prefer pie to cake.  If you are my husband, you prefer cherry pie.  And, if you are my husband, you prefer your mother's cherry pie.

I can't compete.  I've tried, then failed.

But still, the only thing he wants on his birthday is a cherry pie, and his mother doesn't live close enough to make him one.  So today, I got creative.

Since I recently perfected the basic vanilla cupcake, I decided to start there.  However, instead of using a regular sized cupcake liner, I used the Texas size, which fits a regular sized cupcake pan, but is really tall.  I love them.


I then made cherry pie filling, along with an apple pie filling (since Chris is the only person I know who likes cherry pie).  For the apple, I sauteed apples in butter, then added brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon & nutmeg.  At the end, I opted to add some caramel that I had on hand.  SO very glad I did.


I still wanted there to be the "pie" element.  Rather than make my own pie dough, I bought the pre-made stuff from the store, cut it into strips and laid it in a lattice pattern.  Hopefully, if you try this, you'll use a pizza cutter.  I do not have one, therefore, this took me 4 times as long to complete. 
 

Cut them out with a small circle cookie cutter.  Very carefully.  I brushed them with an egg wash, dusted them with cinnamon and sugar, and stuck them in the oven at 425 degrees for 9 minutes.
 

I took the center of the cupcake out.  I really love when fillings seap into the cupcake.



I filled the centers, and then added more on top.  And I can, you see, because I used the Texas baking liners.  I think I heard someone say that everything is bigger in Texas???

Because the standard topping for pies is whipped cream, I went with my whipped Mascarpone cheese frosting.  The pie crust cookie makes the cupcake complete.


Yes, it will need to be eaten with a fork, but it's cake!  And pie!  Together!  And although you don't usually eat a cupcake with a fork, you generally eat cake and pie with one.  I really don't think we are breaking any rules.

Happy Birthday Babe!

***I know. I've promised to add my Vanilla Cupcake recipe, and I will.  Soon.***

1 comment:

Brady and Yamel Knowles said...

Oh my, this looks awesome Emily!!