3.11.2012

The Perfect Vanilla Cupcake

I can call this recipe "perfect" because it has been tried, tested and proven to work every time. I lost all my cupcake recipes from my Blissful Bites days, so I've struggled recently finding recipes that are comparable.  And the fact that the basic vanilla cupcake just wouldn't turn out right almost drove me insane.  

It took roughly 6 pounds of butter, 2 dozen eggs and lots of other bakery items to figure this out.  I did learn a few things along the way... it does matter what order you mix the ingredients... it does matter the temperature of the ingredients... and it does matter how you mix them.

First, combine the dry ingredients and set them aside:
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Next, gather:
  • 1 cup butter, cold
  • 1 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
  • 6 eggs, cold (4 whole, and 2 egg yolks)
  • 3 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup cold whole milk
In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cold butter on high for several minutes.  While still beating, slowly add the sugar.  This makes it so much more fluffy.  With the mixer on low, pour in the oil.  Once incorporated, beat on high for another few minutes.  The batter will begin to turn very pale.  Add vanilla.

*** Now, through my trials and errors, I learned a few things.  1) Fat makes the cake more moist, which is why I added the oil.  2) Egg whites also contribute to a dry cake when mixed with flour, hence the reduction of 2 egg whites.  3) Once the eggs are incorporated, do not over-mix.  Over-mixed eggs make your cake dense, not fluffy.***

Add eggs, one at a time until incorporated, making sure not to over mix.  Add the dry ingredients, alternating with the milk until fully combined.  The batter will be thick.

Using a small cookie scoop, place two level scoops into each cupcake liner.  This recipe make exactly 24 cupcakes.  Bake at 350 degrees for 17 minutes.  Do not over-bake.  If they look like they could use a minute more, don't -- pull them out of the oven and let them sit in the cupcake pan to cool for minute.

Note:Texas sized cupcake liners (which are meant to be tall).


If you don't plan to use them right away, store in an airtight container to hold in the moist goodness.  I used this recipe for my recent Samoa Cupcakes, as well as the Cherry & Apple Pie Cupcakes I made for Chris for his birthday.

Now, I'm thinking a lime variation for St. Patrick's Day and a lemon or strawberry variation for Easter.  After a long hiatus from cupcake making, this recipe has me looking forward to my next creation!

No comments: