5.07.2012

Churchill Downs

I missed the Kentucky Derby, dang it.

And I really wanted to see it, considering I had just visited Churchill Downs in March while in Louisville for a conference.  It was spectacular even though there was no one else there, and no races going on.  Just the history and architecture of that place is amazing.

I so wished that horse racing didn't have an "off-season."



When I say no one was there, no one  was there.  We walked the spectator stands, and I even held sand from the track... so cool.  I kept waiting for a security guard to jump out and stop me at any second.  I couldn't help myself.


Wow.  Can you say fat fingers?  I'll blame it on the hot temperature and crazy humidity.

I also took the liberty of trying on some "Derby" style hats...


Suits me, don't you think?  No, it really doesn't.

Oh, how I would have loved to see a race!  See the horses!  You know that part in the movie, Secretariat, when the horse is crossing the finish line?  Running so fast (in slow motion) that you see all 4 feet (hooves?) leave the ground and the horse looks suspended in mid-air?  My heart stops every time.

And just a random bit of information... Did you know that "I'll Have Another" Derby winner was flown on a charter plane after the Derby to Baltimore for the Preakness?  When did horses start flying to races?  My horses would go nuts if I put them on a plane.  But then again, that would likely never happen.

No comments: