5.12.2012

Thoughts on Mother's Day

I've always felt indifferent about Mother's Day.  It's just not a holiday that I look forward to, like Christmas or Thanksgiving.  I realize that there are some women who dread the day because a) they've lost their mother or b) they want to be a mother, and for some reason or another, can't.  Neither of the reasons apply to me.

I have a wonderful mother.  So wonderful, that on her way up to my house today, she stopped at Costco and bought me TP (love Costco TP) and a massive bag of carrots for my horses.  She sews things for me when asked.  And she made a 4-hour round trip drive to my house, to see Brielle's 30-minute soccer game, and a 20-minute violin recital.  I truly believe that what's important to me is important to her.


That's my mom when she was a baby, my Grandma Carrie and my Great-Grandma Brunetti, aka Nana. Three generations of wonderful mothers who have shaped and molded me into the person that I am.  I suddenly feel the urge to call and see if I've made them proud... or embarrassed.  Or both.

I am a mother and am so happy to be one.  You know, it took me years -- years -- to realize that being a mother to one was just as big a blessing as being a mother to more than one.  For a long time, I was a jealous person and resented people (sisters, friends, family) as they continued to grow their own families.  It broke my heart and made me angry.  Soon though, I came to understand that because I was focusing so much on what I didn't have, I was missing out on the one thing I did have.


Brielle Carmela. The love of my life.  Being her mother is by far the greatest blessing I've received.

So why is Mother's Day just not that important to me personally?  Because I'd like to think my family loves me and thinks I'm special year round.  Making me breakfast and buying me a gift is not something I expect, nor want on Mother's Day.  And after almost 12 years of marriage, I think Chris has finally figured this out.

As busy as he is right now, dealing with new clients, clients who change their mind or material orders that come late, he found time to paint my shutters and doors.  He found time to till my garden.  He turned what would have been a simple trip to SLC for a ReAL game into a weekend away, complete with Sunday Brunch at the Grand America.  He did some laundry and straightened up the kitchen.  He didn't object when I spent a night out with friends.

And that is exactly how to make this girl feel special and loved.  Mother's Day, or not.

No comments: