5.12.2012

The Music Gene

I played the piano and flute growing up.  Music was a big part of my life and still is, through my various church callings.

Chris took 3 piano lessons and never wanted to go back.  I'm told he was a stubborn child (um... still is) and that he fought with his mother until he didn't have to go back (um... not surprised).

I prayed and prayed that Brielle would end up with my music gene and that she would have a desire to develop a musical talent.  So imagine my surprise that when taking piano lessons, she fought me every day.  The girl hated every minute of it.  She told me all she wanted to do was play the violin -- NOT the piano.  But I didn't have a violin and knew nothing about it.  I knew the piano and I had a piano.  It wasn't until Chris forbade the continuation of piano lessons (or, in his words, the constant battle between her and I), that I hesitantly gave in to her desire to play a string instrument.

And I'm certainly glad that I did.


Something clicked when Brielle started her violin lessons that just wasn't clicking before.  Suddenly, she had a desire to learn to read music, she practices daily without complaint and gets up early two days a week to attend orchestra before school.  I'm proud of her for developing her talent, and being dedicated to practicing.  

My dad used to say that he loved hearing music in our home growing up, while listening to me practice.  I now understand exactly how he feels and echo the feeling.  Turns out this girl did inherit my music gene, after all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cutest girl ever. Just needs to smile and where was the curtsy at the end? love Nani