6.26.2012

Kitchen Update {3} - Lighting

Yes, I'm still working on the kitchen.  And I'm afraid I will be for a little while.  Some might think that because my husband is a general contractor, my home improvement project are top priority, and that they're finished fast.  This couldn't be farther from the truth.

The truth is that summer is his busiest season.  Clients come first.  I must wait for winter.  It is what it is, and I just have to be patient.  In the meantime, there are a few things that I can work on.

My light fixture has officially been ordered.  Praise the Lord and shout for joy!  The year of having a contractor light bulb is over!

The right light fixture for the kitchen/dining area has been a heated topic of discussion in my house.  We do not have high ceilings, therefore, something other than a flush-mount was out of the question for us.  Whether to go with something more modern, or traditional or even home made was talked about.  He wanted track lighting (gag) and I did not.

Part of the problem with this particular light fixture was that you can see if from the entryway.  It had to stand out, as well as coordinate with the living room.  It couldn't look out of place.

I chose this light for several reasons:
  1. COLOR.  My kitchen is neutral, neutral, neutral.  I didn't want the light fixture to be boring or blend in.  It had to stand out.  If you look throughout my main floor living space, you'll find many pops of orange.
  2. FINISH.  I have brushed nickle cabinet door handles, door knobs, etc.
  3. PATTERN.  My family/living room has a lot of sea side elements, like see shell mirrors, coral lamps, etc.  The coral pattern on this light will be a subtle way of tying together the family room and kitchen.
  4. SIZE.  This light is 5 3/4 inches tall, therefore, any tall people that visit our home will not have to worry about hitting their head.  It also expands 20 inches in diameter -- not too big, not too small.
  5. FREE SHIPPING.  Okay, that wasn't a determining factor, but when ordering things that are fragile and of this size, shipping can be expensive.  It was a nice bonus.
I can't wait for the email that says this light fixture has shipped.  It may get here just in time for me to have 2 other kitchen projects completed.  I'm in the middle of one and Chris doesn't know it yet, but the other day, he gave me an idea for another!

No comments: