6.12.2012

My Boys

I was talking about my horses today at work.  I love talking about my boys.

It was then that it suddenly dawned on me... we missed their birthday!!!  And I think they know it, 'cause when I tried to snap some photos, they 1) turned their butts to me...


...and then 2) walked away from me.


That, or they didn't want to be bothered while eating.

DANDY
aka Dandy-Man or the Boss-Man was born first - May 28, 2008, although he wasn't the first to enter our family.  This equine must be first for everything.  First to eat a carrot, first to the hay at feeding time, first to the fresh water and so on.  If he so much as thinks Cocoa will get their first, Dandy will bite him on his rear.  I have a suspicion that Dandy didn't want Cocoa to be born first, so he made sure to come early (their half brothers -- same dad, different moms).


Dandy may like to be first line and in charge, but I'm finding that he's a bigger sissy than Cocoa.  He's afraid of the water hose and this morning, I saw him take off running when a bird chirped in a nearby tree.  In his defense, it was more of a loud cackle than chirp, but still... it was just a bird.

I love the marking on his nose, but beware, he doesn't like you touching his nose.  He loves a good scratch behind his ears, and stomps his feet when being groomed.  He hasn't found his "run" yet with a rider on his back and will hop a little (which scares the hell out of me when I'm on him, but makes me laugh when someone else is riding him).

Dandy was a gift to me from Chris's uncle, Christmas of 2010.  Chris wasn't exactly thrilled, but at the time, we had no land, and the "incident" which broke my arm was still fresh in our minds and bank account.  But I love him, and Chris has certainly warmed up to him.

COCOA
aka Cocoa-Ca-Cho was born June 8, 2008 - just shy of two weeks after Dandy.  This equine changed our lives forever.  Chris grew up with horses, and I knew nothing about them.  Chris was working for his uncle when Cocoa was a year old, and Uncle G. offered him to us.  We had no place to keep him, no equipment or riding gear, but I said YES before Chris could tell him no.


I've had many firsts with this horse and have learned a lot about large animals.  First horse I've ever haltered, groomed and bathed, first horse I ever saddled and first horse I gave de-worming medication to.  That was an experience.  He's also the first horse that kicked me and broke my arm (and I pray the last).  

His personality is sweet and submissive, but won't back down when challenged by Dandy.  He'll lean against Chris and rest his whole big head in Chris's arms.  He's a true follower, and does whatever Dandy does.  If Dandy eats, he eats.  It Dandy rolls in the dirt, so does Cocoa.  He loves carrots, apples and watermelon rind.  I don't think he likes being saddled.  He bloats his belly so big you can hardly get the girth around him.  But he's always been so easy to care for and love.


These two fell right back into step when we brought them together.  It's as if the 2 years apart never happened.  They are true brothers.  They watch out for each other, torment and tease each other, but my favorite thing is watching them play together.

Happy 4th Birthday Boys.

No comments: