11.23.2012

30 Days of Gratitude - Day #23

Day #23 - Subtle Reminders

I am very vocal about the despise I have for Black Friday. I hate seeing the ads pile up in my garbage bin. I hate the TV ads that promote it. I hate the lines I saw outside retail stores when I drove home from having Thanksgiving dinner with my family. And I hate hearing stories about people getting shot or trampled on while fighting over the "unbeatable" deals.

Now -- please understand -- I don't want to judge those who thrive in and look forward to these events. I understand, a good deal is a good deal. But for me, Thanksgiving weekend is time when we reflect on the many blessings that we have, and prepare for a season centered around the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ.

Black Friday does neither of those things for me. If anything, I feel as though it takes away from the meaning and spirit of both holidays.

Now, some may argue being able to score a great deal on some legos that they "intend" to give to someone else does prepare them for a season of giving. Hey, more power to ya. Retailers will be disappointed, but their Grey Thursdays, Black Fridays and Cyber Saturdays have the opposite affect on me. Because all of it -- the ads, the hype, the buildup -- all it is to me is a subtle reminder to be thankful for what I have, to prepare for a season of giving and to bring my family closer together.

No comments: