11.15.2012

30 Days of Gratitude - Days #12-15

I'm behind again. Big surprise. If only there was a person to clean your house, keep up with your job, pay the bills, blog and journal all your vacation photos for you... while your on vacation... before you come home from vacation. For free. Wouldn't that be nice?  If someone knows someone, I'd love to have that person's number.

Day #12 - Technology

"I fear the day when technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots."  --Albert Einstein

It's true. People have become dumb with all the LOL's and JK's and LMAO's. Not to mention, those who hide behind a text message or Facebook, so they can say whatever they want, without regard to feeling, and without having to look the other person in the face (I'm guilty of it too). Drives me insane.

But I am grateful for technology. I love staying so closely connected to my friends and family. I love that my blog gives my family an opportunity to see what's going on in my life, without having to make the trek to Logan (and I hope they appreciate it as well). I love the sweet text messages I receive from Chris and Brielle each day. I love that with one simple text, I can join up with all my BFF's for a quick lunch break. And I love that my work has provided me with the tools I need to successfully complete my job each day.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Day #13 -My Mom

I feel it only appropriate, since the 13th of November is my mom's birthday, to express my gratitude for my mom.

I know this may sound cliche, but my mom was and is always there for me. I can't remember a volleyball game, softball game or piano recital that she missed. She was always in the stands -- and I had a twin sister involved in just as much -- so I'm sure it wasn't easy. Even now, if I need her to watch Brielle, sew something for me, help me with something, she doesn't tell me "no."

She's good at everything she does.  Cooking, sewing, teaching, decorating, etc. I look to Pinterest for ideas, and she just comes up with them on her own. I'm constantly asked if I cook as good as my mom or decorate as well as my mom, and the answer is no.  Just no.

Most importantly though, she's a great example.  When I consider how to raise my child, I think back to the wonderful memories that I have of my mother and ask myself if I'm doing those same things.  But maybe the question should be "am I doing those same things as well as my mom?"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Day #14 -My Home

There is nothing that makes me feel more comfortable than walking through my big, red front door. I love my home. My current home, in particular.

For several years, we floated. Looking back to the last three houses we've lived in (one in SLC and two in Cache Valley), I never felt "at home." There was always the feeling that it was a brief pit stop, and soon, we'd be on to something different.

Not any more. Here, in this house, I feel completely at home. I know I will be here for some time. It was a tough road to get here, but the sense of permanency, consistancy, warmth and coziness that I feel here has never been matched. It's not huge. It's not fancy. It's not perfect. But we're making it our own, and truly feel that the Lord has guided us to the exact place that we are supposed to be.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Day #15 - Cache Valley

Since we are on the subject of home, I am also grateful for the community in which I live. I never knew that living in a rural area (rural to me, but not to Chris) was the life that was meant for me. I couldn't love this place any more than I do. I love the mountains that surround my home, the beautiful scenary, the wonderful people and the slower pace.

It suits me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you