11.10.2012

30 Days of Gratitude - Days #5-9

Yes, I'm playing catch-up. I'm out of town and spending the most wonderful time with the loves of my life. But even still, I've been thinking of the things I'm most grateful for.

"Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art...it has no survival value. Rather, it is one of those things that gives value to survival." - C.S. Lewis

Day #5 - Friends

I have the best group of friends. EVER. When I got married, having friendships wasn't all that important. Sure, I had friendly acquaintances, but not friends. After moving to Cache Valley, where I knew no one, I was desperate to find people I could visit with, call occasionally and hang out with from time to time. 

Little did I know I would find a group of women who are funny, talented and who I can count on. We have had some pretty fun times and helped eachother through some tough times. I couldn't survive without our weekly lunch meetings, our occasional late night movies and game nights. Knowing these ladies has given new meaning to the term "I gotch your back." 

And to the one who left me and moved to Sacramento... When I say "friends" you can rest assured you're still included in that group. Always will.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Day #6 - Seasons

As I enjoy the 74 degree temps in sunny Orlando, I'm missing the big snow storm that is hitting back at home. Why would I miss a giant snow storm while I'm enjoying fabulous warm weather???

Because I love the snow!!!

One of my favorite things about Utah is the defined seasons. I love the transition from summer to fall... Fall to winter... Winter to spring and so on.  I love that with each new season brings an activity that my family enjoys. Namely skiing in the winter. 

I love that this time of year means sweaters, soup and snuggling to keep warm. And it takes my breathe away seeing Cache Valley covered in a fresh sheet of white snow.  I love snow blowing the driveway (crazy, I know, but I do). I love watching Izzy pounce in the deep snow, and every time the horses run through the snow, I hear those bells from the "Man from Snowy River" movie in my head. You know the scene I'm talking about?

So while I'm watching my friends post stories about hating the snow and wishing the storm would pass... I'm slightly jealous to have missed it. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Day #7 - Music

Music was a big part of my life growing up. I loved music. As an adult, every calling in the church has had something to do with music. And I have a feeling that trend will continue.

I couldn't wait for Brielle to start taking piano lessons. I wanted her to enjoy music as much as I had growing up. Well, it didn't go as planned. She hated it and suddenly music became a source of tension in our home. Little did I know, she wanted to develop her own musical talent... Not live through or recreate mine.

I love listening to Brielle play the violin. I love hearing music in our home daily. I love hearing her improve and watching her learn. When i was young, my dad used to tell me he loved hearing me play, and now I know exactly how he felt.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Day #8 - Home Cooked Meals

It's when your away, eating theme park food multiple days in a row, that's making me crave a good, home cooked meal. Like my mom's BowTie Pasta with Chicken and Sundried Tomatoes, or my Grandma's Lasagna. Or maybe even just my creamy Chicken and Wild Rice soup. Eating out and trying new things (like shrimp or crab nachos) is fun, but there is nothing more comforting than a simple home cooked meal. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Day #9 - Non-Smoking Laws in Utah

It's the simple things, really. Like being able to walk down the sidewalk without walking through a puff of cigarette smoke, or walk through a park without feeling as though you've smoked a whole pack of cigarettes yourself. I'm beginning to think that everyone in Orlando smokes, and it makes me miss Utah.

In Utah, you can't smoke in any public place, including restaurants. There's no need to hold your breath when you come across a smoker(s), because, well, you're not likely to come across a smoker. Utah laws prevent that, which is one of many reasons I'm grateful to live in such a wonderful state.

No comments: