11.10.2012

30 Days of Gratitude - Day #10

Day #10 - Electricity

"We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude."
-- Cynthia Ozick

I'm freezing today. Yes, I'm still in Florida, and the temperature outside is warm, but my hotel room is ice cold. The conference rooms at my meetings are ice cold. I held a mug of hot chocolate for fifteen minutes this morning in an effort to warm my frozen fingers.

And then I heard a news story that residents in New Jersey may not have power until after Thanksgiving. 

With the flick of a switch, I have the ability to turn on the heat, whenever I want. Here, and at home. I can cook and warm food, I can watch my tv and I can brighten a dark room.  I've been without power before and it's no picnic. You worry about how to keep food cold, how to keep your house warm, etc. the difference is, I've never spent more than a day without electricity.

Except for camping, but that doesn't count because that is intentional.

Today, I'm grateful for the daily comforts I enjoy most.

No comments: