12.30.2012

American Girl Doll "Nap Pads"

Brielle wanted to do something special for all her wonderful friends for Christmas. And since all of her friends have American Girl Dolls, she wanted to make sure it included them. Being that AG stuff costs a small fortune and ordering multiple somethings from the catalog was not an option, we opted to make something instead. 

Que Pinterest.

I found this tutorial for some Nap Pads, but I'm going to give you my own instructions since:
  1. Her website takes forever to load
  2. Her instructions are scattered between 3 different web pages, and
  3. Her doll looks a little creepy (but then, most pictures of dolls do).


You'll need the following supplies:
  •  1/2 Yard Print Fabric (Front)
  •  1/2 Yard Solid Minky Fabric (Back)
  •  2 Large Buttons
  •  1 Package (3 Yards) Extra Wide Double Fold Bias Tape (coordinating color)
  •  13 Inches Ribbon (For the Handle)
  •  Batting 
  •  10 Inches 1/4" Elastic Band (White)
Start by cutting your fabric and batting 25" long and 13" wide. Next, you want to mark your fabric across using the following measurements:

Click on Photo for Clearer Picture


With your fabric and batting layered, stick 4 pins across each marking to ensure that the fabric doesn't shift or bunch while sewing. Stitch a straight stitch across the fabric (batting included) along the markings.

Once finished with the straight stitching, you'll add the bias tape. Explaining how to use bias tape is much harder than actually sewing on the bias tape. For your benefit, I found this fantastic tutorial on sewing bias tape.  NOTE: Skip past the "Making Bias Tape" down to the "Attaching Bias Tape to a Straight Edge." Make sure to also read the "Turning the Corner" tutorial.


Pin your bias tape down on the inside of the Nap Pad first, starting just below the pillow. MAKE SURE that you fold your beginning edge over, so that when wrapped and sewn on the other side, you'll have a nice clean edge. Since you are starting on the inside of the Nap Pad, do not worry about the strap or elastics at this point.

This is were the "Turning the Corner" tutorial comes in handy. Continuing sewing aroun the Nap Pad until you reach the top of the pillow on the side you started. At this point, you'll want to stuff the pillow a little fuller (not too much) than the rest of the Nap Pad. Continue sewing up the pillow until the ends of the bias tape meet.

Flip over to the outside of the Nap Pad and begin sewing just along the edge of the bias tape. Please, please, PLEASE do not do a close up. My sewing is no where near straight.


As you begin sewing on this side, place your ribbon across the 2nd seam up from the bottom, and stitch it right underneath the bias tape. Try your best not to miss this step, or there will be unpicking and restitching, neither of which, I like.


As you turn the corner at the bottom of the Nap Pad, you'll sew in the two 5" pieces of elastic roughly 1 1/2" from the sides.

When complete, roll up the Nap Pad, and using a marker or pencil, mark where the buttons should be sewn. My advice, don't guess. I'm sure I am not the only person who dislikes unpicking and restitching.

The end result is a Nap Pad your daughter's AG girl can sling over her shoulder...


Take anywhere...


And cozy up on.


In all, each Nap Pad cost me less than $8 to make (especially since I was mass producing them -- and by mass production, I mean 9). With the first two (and six hours of my time), there was quite a bit of trial and error. I made multiple trips to JoAnne's because I grabbed single fold instead of double fold bias tape, I found that the elastic & buttons worked better than Velco and I purchased the wrong thread.

By the time I got to the last 3, I had my own Sewing Machine (thanks Mom for the early Christmas gift!!!) and had become a total Pro at the the process, shaving the time down to roughly 1 hour and 15 minutes each, start to finish.

Although I did most all of the work, it was fun to take the time to complete this project for Brielle. All her friends loved them! Now if I could just find the time to finish the one for her doll...

No comments: