12.27.2012

Gingerbread Cupcakes w/ EggNog Frosting

Now, before you completely discount this recipe because of your probable dislike for EggNog, hear me out...

I don't like EggNog either. I can't drink the stuff unless seriously diluted with Milk (Skim, mind you). But, my husband and daughter love it, so you're sure find the stuff in my fridge around the Holidays.

There's no written rule (that I could find), but I think that Gingerbread and EggNog were made to be consumed together.  The combination of the two is magical. I made an EggNog frosting last year to go with some Gingerbread Cupcakes, and it was okay, but the frosting was disappointing. By the time you add enough EggNog to flavor a basic buttercream frosting, you have to add a ton of powdered sugar to get the frosting to hold. It was WAY too sweet and really didn't have that distinct "EggNog" flavor.

But I knew with the right frosting, these cupcakes could be really amazing. So, like I do in most situations such as this, I took to the internet and Googled it. I stumbled onto a website called Eat Cake for Dinner. She did something completely different to maintain the EggNog flavor, without over-sweetening it, and still ended up with a fluffy frosting.

(Click for Recipe)

Photo Courtesy of Eat Cake for Dinner

She literally makes an EggNog custard/pudding (without adding eggs). After cooled to room temperature, she whips it like crazy with butter. It will look as though it has separated at first, but just keep whipping! It will turn into a beautifully light and fluffy frosting.

For the cupcakes, I used Bobby Flay's Gingerbread Cupcakes (minus the ginger syrup).

My cupcakes, dusted with a little Nutmeg

The cupcakes were so good (at least that's what I was told by the people who actually tried them). Seriously though... no need to be afraid of EggNog. With some tweaks, the stuff can be turned into something fabulous!

No comments: