12.23.2012

Family Traditions

I love traditions. I love that there are events in my life that I can look forward to. I love that my family has created our own traditions over the years, but that we still participate in the ones Chris and I grew up with as kids. And I love that we get to experience those traditions with Brielle.

A new tradition that we started just last year was providing Christmas for a family through the Cache Valley for Hope Cancer Foundation. This foundation is special to me for a few reasons... First, who doesn't know someone whose life has been turned upside down by cancer? And second, the founder is a dear friend of mine who battled cancer himself. The goal of CVHCF is to help families affected by cancer, in whatever way possible, so they can focus on their treatment.


Being that Brielle found out the truth about Santa (see previous post), this opportunity was extra special for our family. Chris and I are trying hard to make sure Brielle didn't feel as though the magic, or the feeling of Christmas Spirit was lost. I hope that for her, having the opportunity to be "Santa" taught her something about the true meaning of Christmas. Somthing that couldn't be explained, but needed to be felt.

This year, we had the absolute privilege to provide Christmas for "Wonder-Mom" and "Super-Boy." Super-Boy is 7 and has a large tumor behind his eye. During treatment, his kidney shut down. He has had multiple surgeries, long term stays at Primary Children's Hospital in SLC and over the past year, has missed out on being a regular kid. According to Wonder-Mom, he's one tough little cookie.

Wonder-Mom said she lives her life one day at a time and on very little sleep. She works, takes care of a really sick kiddo and sometimes wonders how long she'll have with Super-Boy. She's sitting on a pile of hospital bills exceeding $800,000 and has decided that rather than wallow in that pit of depression, she will focus on her son and helping him get better. The stregnth and hope of that woman was inspiring, to say the least.

Buying for Wonder-Mom and Super-Boy was tough! Coming up with a gift for my own family is tough... let alone people you don't know! But Wonder-Mom was great and gave us some really good ideas. As excited I am to see Brielle open all the gifts purchased for her, I'm equally excited to hear about their Christmas!


Ah... Donut Day. A day when it is perfectly acceptable to cosume large qualities of carbohydrates and sugar, in the form of freshly made donuts. Each topped with Vanilla, Chocolate, Orange or Maple glaze and sprinkled with anything from nuts to bacon to potato chips (ask Chris about that one... he's weird).


Donut Day is serious. Everyone comes. Everyone participates. And everyone stuffs their face...


But come on, it's bread fried in oil and topped with sugar. Who wouldn't?


There are very few gifts that I remember getting as a child. I know that my parents always made Christmas special, and I don't remember every having to do without. But it's the traditions and memories that I think back on when I think of growing up. They remind me of who I am and the wonderful family that I had. And in creating new traditions, for my own little family, I hope I'm providing the same for Brielle.

No comments: