3.10.2013

New Wheels - Subaru Does Not = Democrat

It's been 28 days since my last confession post. My lack of update has nothing to do with fun and exciting trips or events. Mostly they consisted of everyday junk to the 3rd power. Errands, running around, violin lessons, working late... and not having the appropriate transportation to accomodate our busy family.

Roughly 4 weeks ago, Chris's work truck died, and the expense to repair it was well more than it was worth. We knew this day would soon come, but we were hoping for a bit more time. Juggling our schedules with one working vehicle proved to be challenging.  For two weeks, our days went something along the lines of this:
  • Chris takes Brielle to school and Emily to work.
  • Chris runs work errands, then goes to work himself.
  • Chris picks Emily up from work to go grab lunch.
  • Emily drops Chris off at his work, and goes back to work.
  • Emily leaves work, picks up Brielle and takes her to violin.
  • Emily drives back into town to pick up Chris.
Everyday was a new version of car swapping and somehow, Chris and I managed to still get along.  Surprisingly.  We lost about one hour of work each day, spent that extra hour in the car, and instead of filling up the truck with gas twice during the week, filled up three times (ouch).  It was miserable.

But there is a silver lining...


Two weeks after the GMC bit the dust, we purchased a fairly new - used Subaru Outback.  I love it.  It's nice to be driving something smaller again. It's already been tested out in a snow storm - to which I gave it an A+.  I've only filled up once in two weeks (this should amount to a savings of $200+ per month in fuel). It is SO roomy and SO comfortable and fits my family SO nicely.

On a more serious note... Since purchasing this car, I see Outback's everywhere. This is typical for everyone who has purchased a new vehicle, am I right? Whenever we pass another Outback, Brielle shouts "Sista from another Mista!"  Hilarious, isn't she? Back to being serious... I've noticed that every other Subaru I pass by on the streets has an Obama or Co-Exist sticker on the back and it's made me a bit worried. It may seem to some that the typical Subaru owner is a hippy, tree hugging, Democrat. This is an unfair assessment of Subaru owners around the country. I mean, who says you have to be a tree hugger AND and a Democrat?

And on that note, what if you are me are neither a tree hugger OR a hippy? OR a Democrat? I can drive a Subaru, too!

Phew, I'm glad we've cleared that up!  I'd like to get back to enjoying my new wheels without fear of judgement now, please.  Thanks!

No comments: