12.18.2013

Christmas 2013 (Part 1)

I dreaded putting up my Christmas decor this year. Not because I was dreading Christmas, but because I was dreading my holiday decor. I felt like it was all dated, and quite frankly, I was bored with it. But it's not like you can just start over, you know? I spent years building up my supply of coordinating tree ornaments, displays, etc. I'd need a good chunk of change before I could just chuck out the old and buy all brand new!

With limited funds, I threw myself into "Project Tree Transformation" which required multiple cans of spray paint, spray glue (love that stuff), lots and lots and lots of glitter and a few ideas. It turned out better than I had imagined.


All the white snowflakes you see were ornaments I already had, but were gold. I sprayed them white, sprayed with glue and then sprinkled with glitter to make them sparkle. I painted a dozen red ornaments a pale blue, sprayed with glue and the sprinkled with clear glitter, mostly to give them some texture.

My favorite parts of this tree...


are first the pine cones. These were a process. I had to first hot glue ornament hangers to the top. I then sprayed the bottom with the spray glue and dipped in glitter. Once dried, I then lightly sprayed the pine cone with white spray paint to give it the look of snow.

My second favorite thing is the white pom-pom's that I find at the craft store. I purchased several yards and used it as garland. I felt like the pom-pom's, along with the pine cones and glittery snow flakes give the tree some whimsy and some elegance, but an outdoorsy rustic feeling, too.


The numbered boxes placed throughout the tree is our version of an Advent Calendar this year. I did this in an effort to bring some fun back to Christmas, since you know... my daughter knows "the truth." Just trying to keep things fun! I purchased a Lego Friends Advent Calendar, but instead of Brielle opening each little window, I placed each piece in a box along with a chocolate truffle (her favorite treat). By now, we're almost done creating her little Lego Friends Holiday Scene.

Once the tree was done, however, I realized that everything else now didn't match my tree! Our stockings, my TV cabinet decorations... nothing! So of course, I started another project...


We'll have to do without stockings this year. I refuse to buy some, but just don't have the time to make them. If you follow my Pinterest board, you already know what I have in mind for next year. I can't wait... but will have to put it off until next year.

I also found some time to put together a Christmas Card for family and friends this year. It's certainly not the traditional card, like the ones I'm receiving in he mail right now (which I love, by the way. You're families are all so cute!). It contains NO pictures of our family, but it sums up what we've been doing this year and all the adventures we've had. If you didn't receive one in the mail, don't worry, because here it is...


Click on it to enlarge and you'll be able to read the fine print. We really do hope that all our friends and family have a wonderful Christmas holiday! Eat lots, be merry and enjoy the time with your family. That's exactly what we'll be doing!

No comments: