2.23.2014

Blendtec Addict

I'm now on my 4th and final attempt to get healthy. But with our busy lifestyle, getting our fruits and veggies in everyday.... wait - never mind - we just never ate our fruits and veggies. As a result, our family has been riddled with illness this winter, we're (me especially) are tired all the time and energy levels are low. Things needed to change. I've wanted so badly to jump on the green smoothie bandwagon, but couldn't get the results I wanted with the Bosch. 

While I love my Bosch Mixer (it makes the best bread), the Blender attachment always left me disappointed. Milkshakes weren't thick or creamy and smoothies just didn't have that perfectly smooth texture. Chunks of berries, spinach or ice were left to clog up my straw no matter how long I blended. 


So I did it. I bit the $329 bullet (Costco price) and bought myself a Blendtec. And I've had a green smoothie everyday since! This sucker is powerful and loud, and strangely gives me a thrill each time I use it. It's how guys must feel using power tools, right?

A Few Things I've Learned...

There's a few things I've learned about the smoothies that I've made so far and how to prepare for a quick daily morning smoothie (hardly an expert, but hey, it would have been good to know).
  1. Fruit is expensive! Especially now, in the winter. Buying fruit in bulk at Costco or Sam's Club will help me save a few bucks and...
  2. Because the fruit can spoil quickly, I'm making the same smoothie each day this week. Next week, I'll buy different fruit and try something new, but for this week, I'll use the bulk items I've purchased before they spoil.
  3. Berries turn green smoothies brown. I can take the color but I'll need to get a cup you can't see into for Brielle. She can't take it.
  4. Trop 50 Orange Juice (only half the sugar & calories) really helps sweeten a green smoothie. I've been using 1 cup of Trop 50 OJ instead of water for a smoothie that yields 2 servings (an extra 25 calories never hurt no one).
  5. Frozen grapes make a huge difference. HUGE!
  6. Make ahead smoothie packets are the way to go. I spent some time Sunday morning pealing 12 Kiwi's and plucking 2 bags of grapes off the stems. I placed 2 peeled and diced Kiwi's and 1 cup grapes to 6 ziplock bags for the freezer for this weeks smoothie (recipe to be posted in a future post).
Idea found on Pinterest

I'll be posting our weekly smoothie recipes here on the blog. If you have a tried and tested recipe, I'd love to try it so please share in the comments! I'm officially addicted.

No comments: