2.07.2014

In Denial

I've been in denial lately that my daughter is growing up. I see her friends dressing more grown up and I don't want her too. She wants to buy dangley earrings and I still want her to wear the ones shaped like little cupcakes and hearts! She wants to go "hang" at the mall with her friends (without adults) and I want to take them all out for ice cream (with me). She even wants to carry a purse to put her phone and money in. Which makes sense, but still.

The most obviously sign that she's growing up? Besides the mood swings and the overly emotional behavior (adolescence will quite possibly make me shoot myself, BTW)? It's the way she's talking to me! Meaning that she is using grown up words and talking like grown up people do. Not like little kids do.

We were on our way to Starbucks the other day for a steamer when she casually said to me "Mom, you know what is ironic?" Ironic??? Does she even know what ironic means? Of course, she must, since she's using the term correctly! But seriously? I don't even remember what actually was "ironic" because of the shocking realization that my suspicions were correct.

Excuse me while I go cry in a corner cause my baby is growing up.

No comments: