2.04.2014

"Samoa" Cupcakes

Because this past weekend was the Superbowl and because we like lots of food and treats to the watch the game (or the commercials), we had to come up with a good cupcakes. We, meaning me and Brielle.

Brielle has now started "FACS," or as it used to be called... Home Economics. I now have the responsibility of ensuring she complete 10 hours of at-home food preparation (in other words -- parent homework). Each week she has to plan, prep, and oversee a meal and they only allow 15 minutes for cook time. Which means we have to come up with something that will require 45 minutes of prep time. ***Groan***

"Samoa" Cupcakes

These babies were a little sticky to eat, but the flavor did not disappoint. And because we loaded them up with a toasted coconut & caramel topping, each one felt like it weighed 5 lbs. It didn't, but it was heavy.

The inspiration came from Confessions of a Cook Book Queen's Samoa Cake (click link to view). I used her exact filling recipe, but used my favorite white vanilla cupcake recipe and favorite chocolate frosting recipe. You can find links to those recipes below....

Note to Baker... follow the recipe to a T. If you alter the steps, accidentally add too much sugar, take out of the oven too soon, they will not turn out right.

Doubling this recipe will frost 20-24 cupcakes. And since the Vanilla cupcake recipe makes exactly 24 cupcakes, I suggest you double the frosting recipe so that you'll have enough frosting.

Brielle and I still have 9 hours of kitchen time to go. Yeah. My "yeah" oozes with sarcasm, since I prefer alone time in the kitchen. It's like, my happy place... my domain... my sanctuary. Who knows though. Maybe it will be fun.

No comments: