2.14.2014

Valentine's Day

I typically don't get into the whole "Valentine Day" holiday, except to prepare treats for Brielle's classmates. It's just not my favorite holiday and I feel that there are so many expectations surrounding this one day. However, since my Husband (ever so gently) pointed out that I haven't been making holidays around our house very "special," I've decided to put forth some effort.

Thanks to Pinterest, I've found a few ideas that I created for my own family! Here's a link list of my Valentine's Day Pinterest inspirations:


I'm really beginning to wonder why I gave up on making holidays "special"? I really do enjoy the preparation and I love the joy and appreciation I see on Chris & Brielle's face when I succeed. Not to mention, I really have no excuse, what with so many simple and easy things out there to do. Really, the only hard part will be waking up early enough to make that special breakfast for Brielle before she has to get on the bus at 6:55 a.m.!

DISCLAIMER. PHOTOS WERE TAKEN AT NIGHT, WITH NO NATURAL LIGHT AFTER BRIELLE HAD GONE TO BED. QUALITY IS POOR. NOT THAT ALL MY PHOTOS ARE OF PROFESSIONAL QUALITY (THEY'RE NOT), BUT THESE ARE ESPECIALLY DARK.

DECOR THEME... Red & Gray Hearts

I covered the table using yarn in a plaid type pattern. It was cheaper than a table cloth, and looked pretty cute against my black table, but it was time consuming and a challenge! I'd definitely do it again though. I loved the way it turned out!


Believe it or not, the gray place-mats are just sheets of gray felt that I picked up at Hobby Lobby for $0.79 each. Using PowerPoint, I created red & gray hearts, all with different, classic Valentine sayings on them, which I used for the garland and to place inside the red paper plates.


I also tagged the straws with "Be Mine" tags.


And of course, placed random items in the middle of the table, along with a special Valentine's Day gift & outfit for Brielle.



Brielle knows me all too well. I guess when you've received an outfit from your parents the last several Valentine's Days, you come to expect it. Several times yesterday, Brielle casually asked if she should "pick out an outfit for tomorrow." Maybe she was trying to get hints about what I had in store, or maybe she was hoping she'd get it early. Next year, I'm going to have to come up with something different.


She enjoyed French Toast with Buttermilk Syrup, whipped cream and strawberries before racing out the door to school. She told me she loved it! And that's all that mattered to me. Mission Make Holiday's More Special continues to be successful.

No comments: