12.25.2011

Doughnut Day 2011

Christmas time means Doughnut Day at the Potter house.  This is a tradition that goes back as far as I can remember, and continues each and every year.  I'm not sure why my mother still plans it... it results in the most ridiculous mess and the consumption of many, many, many, MANY calories.  We all love it, so this year won't be the last.

Doughnut Day also gives Brielle a chance to spend loads of time with cousins that she doesn't get to see everyday.


As you can see from all the kids faces, decorating doughnuts is serious business.  Especially when you get to choose from chocolate, vanilla, orange or maple glaze and a large selection of toppings, such as sprinkles, nuts, coconut and.... wait for it.... Bacon.

Yes, the maple glazed doughnuts with Bacon was a huge hit this year.  There were barely enough left to put on plates for neighbors and friends.  Ask my BF Carrie.  The moment we left her house, she was texting me asking why her family only received one.  Next year, Carrie.  Next year.


In lieu of the dreaded gift exchange, my family does something much more fun and much, much more memorable.  BINGO.  Yes, who knew that a game played frequently at the old folks home could be such a hit, but it is. 



We all buy one gift for each member of our family (a few more if we are feeling generous).  The gifts get wrapped and get placed in a large pile in the center of my mom's dining room table.  We all know how to play BINGO, so I won't explain the rules, but the first to get BINGO selects a gift.  The next to get BINGO selects a gift and so on.  Then we play for blackout.  Gifts may be stolen a few times to make the game interesting.  You can tell from the above picture that Brielle clearly does not want her prize taken.

Traditions are a big part in bringing the Christmas Spirit into my life.  They make me happy at time when life is nothing short of crazy, and it brings me joy to see Brielle enjoying the same traditions that I grew up with as a child.