6.19.2012

I Can Do Hard Things

For the longest time, I had this notion that exercise and fitness was easy for skinny people.  Skinny people can run big races.  Skinny peoples knees don't hurt when they work out.  Skinny people don't get pain in their ankles when they run.  Skinny people can make it through a race without an emotional battle going on inside their heads.  It's always easier for skinny people, right?

I recently read the blog post of a girl I know who just ran a 1/2 marathon.  She's super skinny.  She drinks green smoothies every day, is super healthy and she workouts/runs ALL THE TIME.  I was shocked as I read her post about her most recent marathon experience.  She talks about how her knees hurt, that she couldn't find a good pace and that she questioned why she ever signed up in the first place.  And she still finished.

She described the very things I did when I ran my first 10K.

My notion has been busted.  The theory that it's harder for me than it is for her is no longer valid.  I have no more excuses.  I'm signed up for 2 - 5K's in August & September, one with obstacles.  I will finish.  I will run the entire time.  And I will work to a pace of 10 minute miles.


3 comments:

Rachelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachelle said...

If I can run, you can run. I just finished my second Ragnar and it was sooo much fun! Let me know what races you are running this year I would love to join you.

Carrie said...

Oh my gosh it never gets easier. Running is always a challenge because there are so many never-ending components to it (ie distance and speed), and when you stop for a week you pretty much have to start over from day 1. It is tough business. I like the challenge though. I feel like it's the only thing that makes me feel like I really got my heart racing and the pain everywhere (even mental) is a type of pain I can get through and feel accomplished. I am so grateful we ran our first race ever together! Someday I'd love to do another one with you, maybe even Ragnar! :)