7.21.2012

Cinnamon Toasted Almonds

I recently hosted my fellow Bunc-Ho's at my house for... Bunco.  Since it was July (and soon after the 4th), the theme was an Independence Day/Summer BBQ party.  Everything was packaged or decorated in Red, White & Blue.

Thanks to my friend Keri, a photo was snapped of the table...

I don't know if I've mentioned this... but I hate my arms.

1...
Chris said to me "You think a bunch of ladies will eat Hot Dogs?"  Ya.  Who doesn't love a good Hot Dog?  Especially wrapped in these super cute foil Hot Dog wrappers that I found for $3.00 on Etsy?  Sadly, they are no longer on Etsy, but you can find them HERE (if for some reason, you feel you need a case of 1000).

2...
I made a Watermelon and Berry salad, dressed with fresh squeezed lime juice & zest, and a little bit a sugar.  A trick I learned from my mom which everyone seems to love.  It never fails, I'm always asked "what's in this?"  Pure deliciousness, I reply.  Anyway, I packaged them in individual to-go containers.  
3...
I of course, made the delicious Cheesy Corn Dip that I've made several times since I discovered the recipe on Pinterest.  Served with Tortilla Chips.

4...
Fresh Strawberry Lemonade to Drink.

5...
Ice Cream Cupcakes.  Large Cupcake, Chocolate Cake base, Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream, swirled Whipped Cream and a cherry on top.  They.  Were.  Yummy.  
(I'm sure you can understand that in my rush to set the table before my guests arrived, as well as keep the ice cream cupcakes cold and the hot dogs warm, I didn't snap photos of anything.  Such a tragedy, really.

And now, for the Cinnamon Almonds.  And they must have been a hit, because two of my fellow Bunc-Ho's have already called asking me for the recipe.  Here it is, ladies...


Cinnamon Toasted Almonds
  • 6 cups un-blanched Almonds
  • 6 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 2 Egg Whites
  • 1/3 cup Sugar
  • 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 3/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
  • Extra Cinnamon/Sugar mix for dusting
In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until frothy.  Stir in the vanilla.  Add the almonds and stir to coat.

In another bowl, combine both the sugars, cinnamon & salt.  Add to almond mixture and stir to coat.

Spread evenly across 2 greased cookie sheets.  Bake at 300 degrees for 25-30 minutes, stirring several times through the cooking process.  After they are finished baking, and while still warm, dust with extra cinnamon & sugar.  I really like the texture this extra step gives.

Store in an air tight container.

No comments: