7.29.2012

Muesli - My New Favorite Breakfast

Do you know what "muesli" is?  I didn't.  But now I know and I love it.  It's my new favorite breakfast.

mues-li [myoos-lee] noun
a breakfast cereal similar to granola, usually consisting  of uncooked rolled oats, fruit and nuts 


Looks amazing, doesn't it?  After the "Team Charese" 5K, Brielle and I were famished.  I never eat before running or working out.  I know, I know.  I've been told that's bad, but I prefer not to throw up while exercising.

We were in search of non-McDonald's type breakfast food and we came across a little place called Corner Bakery Cafe.  I was in the mood for something cold and immediately ordered the breakfast special which was described as "chilled oatmeal with fresh fruit." 

I immediately tasted yogurt (which I hate), but it was only a slight yogurt taste.  Very pleasant and very tolerable.  Obviously, the oatmeal was there (uncooked - first for me), but so were blueberries, strawberries, bananas, raisins, apples and lots of almonds.  I also hinted a slight citrus note in the background.  The muesli was extremely creamy and not too sweet.

It. Was. Good.

It also came with super thin cinnamon wheat toast, which was perfect for dipping.

I. Was. In. Heaven.

I also didn't eat again until dinner.  It was incredibly filling and satisfying with just this small serving and a glass of water.  Curious about this dish, I did some Googling, and here is what I found:

Muesli is a popular Swiss/German meal consisting of uncooked rolled oats, fresh fruit (or dried) with nuts and honey.  It was developed around 1900 by a Swiss physician for patients in his hospital.  Instead of cooking the oatmeal, you soak it in a combination of milk and yogurt.  I found the following recipe that I hope comes close to what I ate at the CBC.

Fruit & Oat Muesli
Bon Appetit | January 2010

Makes 6 Servings
  • 1 1/4 cups Quick Cooking Oats
  • 2/3 cup Reduced-Fat Milk
  • 2/3 cup plain Low-Fat Yogurt
  • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 2/3 cup Fresh Orange Juice
  • 1/4 cup Honey
  • 1 cup chopped Raw Almonds
  • 1 diced Apple
  • 3 cups Fresh Fruit (I loved the combination of Bananas, Strawberries & Blueberries - and traditionally, raisins and other dried fruit can be used as well)
Mix Oats, Milk, Yogurt and Vanilla in a large bowl.  Let stand for 5-10 minutes to soften the oats.  Whisk orange juice and honey in a medium bowl.  Stir in chopped apples & almonds, then the fruit.  Stir fruit mixture into oat mixture and serve.
Recipe also states that this can be made ahead and stored in the fridge for up to 8 hours.
Your other option (which is not stated in the recipe) is to visit your local Corner Bakery Cafe.  Which, as luck would have it, is NOT in Logan.  Three, however, are found in Salt Lake.
I'll be honest, I'm a little disappointed that we now have a Kneaders, an Apple Spice Junction AND a Paradise Bakery.  Of the 4, Corner Bakery Cafe is my favorite as well as the least expensive.  I can say this with authority because I've now not just had breakfast there, but dinner as well.
Yes, I ate at CBC twice in one weekend.  It was that good.

1 comment:

King Family said...

Thanks for this recipe, I have been looking for this, I had it while in Mexico and loved it. I can't wait to try and make it for my family!!!