11.01.2012

30 Days of Gratitude - Day #1

"Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, 
at least we learned a little; and if we didn't learn a little, 
at least we didn't get sick; and if we did get sick, at least we didn't die; 
so let us all be thankful."  -- Hindu Prince Gautama Siddharta

It's November, can you believe it?  The season is quickly changing and the holidays (aka Christmas -- there, I said it) is quickly approaching.  The last few months have been a sprint for me, with so much going on at work and at home.  This month, life will slow down a bit, and for that, I am grateful.

I don't wish to offend anyone, but I hate loathe cringe when asked to publicly state over Thanksgiving dinner what I'm grateful for.  One... you put me on the spot, and I'm bound to say something dumb.  And two... I'm grateful for so many things, and you want me to pick just one?  But I do look forward to any opportunity to reflect on my many, many blessings.  

This November, starting today, I'm going to think of something each day of the month that I consider a blessing in my life.  Some days, I may share two.  And before anyone gets sassy, sharing publicly on my blog is NOT the same as sharing publicly in person.  It is different.

30 days... 30 posts about "gratitude."

Day #1 - My Families Health

It seems my family has been sick a lot lately.  The stomach flu swept through our house leaving nothing but destruction in its path.  Then, the hubs was diagnosed with bronchial pneumonia.  Being that Brielle was diagnosed with pneumonia at exactly this time last year, I am so grateful that 97% of the year, my family is healthy.

We have no lingering illness that causes our family stress or suffering.  We do not need daily doses of medication or medical treatment like so many people we know.  Sure, I don't want the flu, who does?  But if that's all I get, I'll take it.

And with that... being that we are family of un-insured's, I'm grateful that we were blessed with the financial means to pay for a broken arm and a few prescriptions of anti-biotics.

No comments: