11.27.2012

30 Days of Gratitude - Day #27

Day #27 - The Plan of Salvation

"All that we call human history - money, poverty, ambition, war, prostitution,
classes, empires, slavery - is the long terrible story of man trying to find something
other than God which will make him happy.  -- C.S. Lewis

Isn't that the truth?

This evening, just before leaving work, I was visited by a colleague who quite honestly, is one of the dearest, kindest and most generous old man I've ever met. Mr. Nixon recently lost his wife, and as a highly respected REALTOR in Cache Valley, I sent flowers on behalf of our organization to his home.

Surprisingly, I wasn't greeted by a man who looked as though he was mourning, though inside, I'm sure he was. When I expressed my sadness for the loss of his wife, he simply stated "Don't be. We lived a life that most people never experience. We had hard times, but we did everything we ever wanted to do." He went on to explain that our Heavenly Father has a clock ticking on all of our lives, and that when it is our time to go, we should not question it.

I found a conference talk given by Elder L. Tom Perry in October of 2006 in which he states...

"God is the Father of our spirits. We are literally His children, and He loves us... God's whole purpose - His work and His glory - is to enable each of us to enjoy all His blessings. He has provided a perfect plan to accomplish His purpose." 

He goes on to express his concern as people try to find the answers to life's most basic questions. Where did we come from? We are we here? Where are we going? And that technology has only multiplied the confusion by spreading messages contrary to God's plan across the earth.

I sincerely appreciated the sweet testimony that had been born to me today. It made me pause and reflect on the plan of salvation. I am grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ. I'm am grateful to know that my life has a purpose and that a plan has been laid out for me to follow. I'm grateful for the reminder that my life - that this life - is the time for me (us) to prepare to meet God. And I'm grateful to know that I'm not alone in doing so.

I do have a testimony of the plan of salvation. I do believe that true happiness is not found in having money, possessions, power or status. Happiness is found when living your life as God intended... by obedience to His law, by having eternal goals, and with the promise of heavenly blessings. And if I ever needed a reminder of this, I'm glad that I received it today from Mr. Nixon.

No comments: