3.27.2013

Biography Fair

Several weeks ago, Brielle came home from school and told that she would be "Grandma Moses" in the 5th grade biography fair, which highlighted famous Americans. Grandma who? I said. I had no idea who she was, what she did or what she was famous for.

None the less, Brielle wanted everything to be perfect. So perfect, that she reminded us of this event three times a day, for several weeks. Chris and I were so annoyed we starting saying things like "you have a biography fair? When?" or "what's tomorrow?" It really ticked her off.

***SPECIAL THANKS TO L MCB, WHO PULLED TOGETHER THE ENTIRE COSTUME, EXCEPT FOR WIG & GLASSES. I KNEW I COULD COUNT ON YOU...

A few things to know about Grandma Moses:


Anna Mary Moses started painting in her older years (hence the "Grandma" title). When embroidery became too difficult (due to arthritis) a friend suggested she start painting.  In the 1930's she sold small paintings for $2 and large paintings $3. It was during this time that she was discovered by art collector Louis Calder who purchased all the paintings she had available.


A year later, her paintings were included in an art exhibit titled "Contemporary Unknown American Painters" at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City. One of her more popular paintings sold in 2006 for $1.2 million dollars.  Grandma Moses even has a 6 cent commemorative US postage stamp created in her honor.
 

The 5th grade teachers outdid themselves with this event. All the reports and posters were to be completed at school (meaning parents were not involved - I still remember my... I mean Brielle's 4th grade science experiment). They researched their famous American at school, wrote their reports at school and completed their posters at school.  The parents job was only to help with the costume, and get them to the school in time for the fair, which was held in the evening.

69 5th grade students lined up around the outside of the gym, in character. Parents were given a sheet of paper and were instructed to "Name the Famous American." You could only ask 3 questions to each student, and they could only give yes or no answers. I'll tell you what... this was not easy. Chris knew quite a few that I did not, and once again, questioned my Murray High School education.

At the conclusion, each child had to stand on stage, state their name and who they were. "My name is Brielle Merkley, but tonight, I am Grandma Moses." What a fun event, both for the kids and for the parents. Chris and mine's biggest disappointment? Not being able to identify Brielle's friend, who was Susan B. Anthony. Her poster even said "My Picture is on the Dollar Coin." Embarrassing, I know.

No comments: