3.03.2014

Green Detox Smoothie

This weeks smoothie comes from a blog called "Gimme Some Oven." We stocked up on spinach, bananas and giant bag of frozen pineapple chunks from Costco, so I hit up Pinterest for a tropical green smoothie with those primary ingredients. Plus, the word "detox" makes it sound so much more healthy, right?

If you haven't read my previous posts, we've been buying fruit in bulk to keep the costs of making daily smoothies down. Then we make the same smoothie all the week long to use up our supply before the fruit spoils.

Aside from spinach and kale, I haven't ventured out to add other veggies to my morning smoothies. I'm just not that brave. But I thought to myself... how bad could a single stalk of celery be? It wasn't.... bad.... but the bitter celery flavor was certainly at the forefront on my first sip. The more I drank, the less it bothered me. After a few sips, I tasted mostly pineapple.

The original recipe recommends adding chia seeds. Now, I've read up on health benefits of chia seeds and they are certainly a good source of fiber, antioxidants and omega-3. But I'm curious -- does it change the flavor of the smoothies at all (for those who have tried)? Not to mention, I'll need to find another place (locally) besides Macey's that sells the stuff (holy smokes -- $11.00 for a small bag).
 
Photo Credit Given to Gimme Some Oven

Green Detox Smoothie
Recipe Adapted from: Gimme Some Oven (Link HERE)
MAKES 4 CUPS - 2 SERVINGS (238 Calories Per Serving)
  • 1 Banana
  • 3 cups Frozen Pineapple Chunks
  • 2 cups Baby Spinach
  • 1 Celery Stalk
  • 1 Tbsp Ginger (really, just to taste)
  • Juice of 2 limes
  • 8 oz Water
Place all ingredients in your blender, secure lid and blend until smooth. I used the "Smoothie" button on my Blendtec, which blends for roughly 36 seconds.

No comments: