3.13.2012

Punishment

Whether or not to workout has become a psychological battle ever day after work.

"I don't want to go to the gym today."  "You need to go to the gym today."

"But I'm tired and want to go home today."  "But you really do need to go to the gym today, especially since you ate _______ for lunch."

So, I go.  And I'm always glad that I did.  I feel so good, and so much better about myself when I do.

Strangely enough, today I didn't feel so good.  When leaving work, I had this huge desire to just go home.  This daylight savings non-sense is kicking my trash.  But, I kept telling myself that I need to go to the gym.  With an upcoming business trips and 5 days worth of eating out, I had to go.

So I get there, get changed, and get started, just to receive a phone call from my husband stating that my Visiting Teacher was standing on my doorstep.  Our appointment was today.  And besides feeling exceptionally bad after posting this about Visiting Teaching, I received punishment for forgetting in the form of a ridiculously hard, crazy intense, can't breathe and felt like I was going to lose my lunch kind of workout.

Oh, and I was told if I didn't finish in exactly 23 minutes, I would receive a Bonus Round (i.e. punishment) of 50 push ups, 50 box squats and 50 burpees.  I loathe burpees.  I finished in 22 minutes and 12 seconds just to avoid the burpees.

So now I'm confused.  Had I listened to the side that wanted to go home, I would have spared myself physical torture and received a spiritual message.  But, I set out to complete the ridiculously hard, crazy intense, can't breathe and may lose lunch workout, and I did!  With time to spare!  This is truly a major accomplishment. 

My psychological battle just got harder.  Now I will begin to question whether or not to go, on the off chance I'm missing an appointment I had previously scheduled.

This losing weight crap sucks.  But then, if it were easy, everyone would be skinny, right?  And not have to battle themselves just to get to the gym.

No comments: