9.03.2012

Peaches & Cream Cupcakes

My dear, sweet husband asked me ever so politely to update my blog. You see, he's my one and only blog follower (I'm sure of it) and has apparantly become annoyed with checking in, only to find that my last post (over 2 weeks ago) is still the most recent post.

I've been in a blogging funk lately, which happens from time to time. That, and I can't seem to catch up on anything right now. With school having started again, we're back on a regular routine at this house, but suddenly, things seem busier. I travel a lot for my work this time of year, which I love, but it seems to put me that much more behind.

So, rather than catch up on laundry, doing the dishes or finishing my spice jar project, I'll update my blog. This ones for you Chris...

I always know when my favorite time of year approaches. I absolutely love everything that comes with the fall season... sweaters, cool nights, the beautiful colors in the nearby canyons and peaches.

I. LOVE. PEACHES. 

Being that I live so close to Brigham City, Utah (known for their peaches), I'm lucky to have fresh, juicy peaches at my finger tips, any time I want. Sliced peaches in milk with a little sugar because a regular breakfast meal and we look for whatever we can to top with peaches -- pancakes, toast, etc. And of course, we've made several  batches of Peaches & Cream Cupcakes. Not to eat all by ourselves. A couple boxes have made it to neighbors & parties we'ves attended. I think that it's safe to say these are my second favorite food item, next only to fresh peaches themselves.

Peach Cupcakes are really easy to make.  I start with my basic Vanilla Cupcake recipe, using the following variation:
  • Instead of 3 tsp of Vanilla, reduce to 1 1/2 tsp
  • Add 1 1/2 tsp Almond extract
  • Peel and finely dice 2-3 peaches, and fold in gently after the batter is combined
Bake at the same temperature, for 18 minutes or until they spring back when touched.


I love that you can see the bits of peaches popping through the cupcakes. Now, because of the fresh fruit and the moisture content, they won't have perfectly round tops, but hey, I cover them with an amazing whipped frosting, so who cares...

Now, I did something a little bit different this year, than last. I decided I wanted a stronger peach flavor, without using any artifical flavorings. But I also didn't want to make a filling that would turn the centers mushy. What I ended up with was amazing.  Amazing, I tell you!

Fresh Peach Puree
  • 3 peaches, peeled and halved
  • 1 lime
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 2 tsp gelatin
  • 3tbsp cold water
After peeling the peaches and removing the bit, please the peach halves in a blender. Add the juice of one lime, the sugar and then blend until smooth (or slightly chunky if you'd like -- I've done both). Place in a saucepan and heat until bubbling, stiring occasionaly so it doesn't burn.

While cooking the peaches, place the cold water into a small bowl. Once the peaches are heated through, add the gelatin mixture and stir until smooth. Place in the fridge until cooled and the gelatin has set.  You'll end up with essentially peach jam, except not as sweet. I did this on purpose.


Isn't that puree the most beautiful peachy color? No coloring was added.  It is just pure, tart, peachy goodness. Now, you'll notice two things about this puree...
  1. It's not very sweet.  With a sweet frosting, I didn't want it to be. I wanted the contrast in flavors, and you will too... I promise.
  2. I didn't put the puree inside the cupcake. I'm sorry, but I don't like cupcakes with half the cake removed for filling.  I want the cake, too!  Besides, when you can swirl the frosting around the filling, why not just plop is on top?
So that's what I did, and let me just tell you... people love the surprise filling underneath the frosting, as well as the burst of peachy flavor it gave to the cupcakes.

Now, this cupcake couldn't have just a regular buttercream or cream cheese frosting.  That would be too heavy, and you wouldn't be able to call it a "Peaches & Cream" cupcake. But it's perfect with a Whipped Frosting.

Whipped Mascarpone Frosting
  • 1 8oz tup Mascarpone Cheese
  • 1 1/2 cups Whipping Cream
  • 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
  • 2 tsp Vanilla extract
In your mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment, beat on high until combined and thick.  Place in a pipping bag and swirl around the fresh peach puree.


They look so simple, basic & pretty, no one will know what flavorful surprise lies underneath!

No comments: