2.10.2013

Spinach for Breakfast

One of my "getting healthy" goals is to make sure fruits and vegetables are present at every meal. Including breakfast. I eat fruit on occasion, but I never seek out vegetables. If I ate vegetables with dinner 3 times a week, it was a success. But not anymore...

Fruits have been easy. I add unsweetened frozen berries to my morning protein shake and eat apples or oranges with lunch and dinner. A banana is usually thrown somewhere in the mix. Vegetables though... vegetables are hard! They rarely taste that good raw and usually have to be prepared. Carrots have to be peeled and cut up, cucumbers have to be chopped because their too big to eat like a banana. And its not like you can pick off florets of broccoli and eat like grapes. Vegetables are work. And I don't like extra work.

But it is what it is. I've lead an unhealthy lifestyle and now I have to put the work into fixing it. I posted a while back about my favorite green smoothie which uses spinach. Problem was, the bags of spinach I buy at the grocery store seem to go bad faster than I can use it.

My next successful Pinterest find... Frozen Cubes of Spinach

The site on Pinterest used ice cube trays, but since I have an ice maker in my fridge, I don't have them. I do have 6 - 4 oz Rubbermaid storage containers. 10 cups of Spinach pureed with a little water filled all 6, which means that each container holds roughly 1 1/2 cups of spinach. Genius!

So, 6 days a week, I can pop the frozen spinach cubes into the blender along with other frozen fruit and start my day with at least one serving of vegetables. And I hear that spinach does wonderful things to your skin, hair and nails. I'll let you know!

No comments: